Friday, December 4, 2015

Honesty apparently isn't the best policy....

Most people are afraid of hearing the truth. Even from close friends. No matter how many times they say they are ready, when they actually hear it, it changes the game in your relationship. It's frustrating from the standpoint that when you are the person people come to for advice on things, they expect honesty, but apparently only to a point. I'm sorry, I don't half ass anything, so if you ask me for advice, I'm giving it to you. Does this make me the most popular person in town? Not by a long shot,  and truthfully it can get a bit lonely. Every day as women, we're told so many different things: be strong, don't back down , give your opinion, and so on and so on. Now, when you actually go ahead doing those things, it scares some people. As I've gotten older, the more I see people hiding behind the person they present to the world and not actually being themselves. It's sad. The woman who would rather be at home with her dog or cat drinking a glass of wine watching OITNB rather than being dolled up, having a beer at some bar and having some super douche hitting on her makes no sense to me. When did it become not okay to actually be ourselves? Are we so afraid people aren't going to like us if we don't fit in this image they have of us in their heads? Which is why so many people have a problem with honesty. If we can't be honest with ourselves, how the fuck can we expect they'll be happy with hearing anything honest from someone else? I'm now in my 40's. I don't have 500 friends on FB or millions of followers on Instagram, but what I do have is a small group of people that appreciate me for just being me, and not some image I represent, and I think in the grand scheme of things, that's a hell of a lot better than being surrounded by false friends. My advice? Life is too short to be surrounded by people not willing to go the extra mile for you when the shit hits the fan, so take a good look around you, trim some of the fat and see how much better you'll feel....

No comments:

Post a Comment