Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cheat meals and figure show prep....

When you first start prepping for a figure show, you panic a bit wondering if you will ever eat "good" food again, or basically be able to enjoy a cheat meal at all. I am lucky in the fact that for the most part, my diet was pretty good to begin with. Sure, I ate more than I should, but I realistically didn't eat fast food or drink soda. Truth be told, I hit  a huge weight a few years ago, and cut back on shit food from that point on. So, the nutrition side has been a bit easier for me, although the calorie restricting did take a week or two to get down. My coach let me know I was able to have a cheat meal once a week, and if you do any research on training, many coaches will say the same thing. Just be smart about it, and don't turn it into a full day binge, that'll bite you in the ass. So, first week I had three slices of pizza...so far so good, training went great the next day and I didn't feel like shit. Enter week 2, and it's started to go downhill. You don't realize that when you start the nutrition side of this, the amount of sugar you don't consume really becomes apparent after your cheat meal, at least for me it has. As soon as I  got done eating a cupcake I started getting a headache. I chalked it up to not enough water and a martini. Nope, same thing happened after cheesecake the following week. I can also add my gut hurting, the sweats and the inability to regulate body temperature to that lovely list now. The reality is, once you start eating a lot better, cutting back on sugar etc you really start to understand how it actually affects your body when you overindulge in it. To me it's become apparent I don't need that type of cheat meal. So, going forward I will add more veggies, fruit, hummus and perhaps a little piece of chocolate as my "cheat" meal. Gage this for yourself, we're all different, I just know that for myself, it's not worth feeling lethargic, sweaty, gross have a headache and not be able to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment