Monday, April 7, 2014

Aging gracefully?

Well, today I turn 43. As a child, I remember thinking 25 was old. I remember "old" people telling me you are only as old as you feel. I used to laugh and shake my head, thinking, yeah right crazy person. Well, I'm here to tell you, it's true. I may be age 43, but my mind is definitely not in the same age bracket. Do I enjoy aging? I'm not really sure how to answer that, because there are pros and cons. I enjoy the wisdom that comes with it, but I don't enjoy the creaking of the joints. I definitely don't like the eyesight going, but hey, what can you do. I like to think I am aging graceful. I don't color my hair, get botox, use wrinkle remover or wear thigh high boots. I never want to be the person others shake their heads at and comment that I should act my age. Am I where I thought I would be when I was younger and envisioned myself in my "later" years? No, I'm in a better place. After you spend most of your early years running from things, when you finally get to your happy place, you really just want to stay put and enjoy it while you can. My only regret is that my sister isn't here to enjoy my day with me. This is the first year I won't receive a phone call with her singing some awful song, or leaving a silly voicemail for me. I like to think she's with me, and remembering the days when we were little and would have our mom make us a jello cake...and while it may add some more wrinkles to my face, that's one memory I will gladly add to my smile lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment