Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Impostor syndrome...

My hubby shared an article with me a few weeks back. It was about feeling like an impostor. It's something that has stuck with me since. I know the reality is people out there are going to be better at their job than you. What I wonder is how do you get the insecurities out of your own head. In my field (massage therapy) we all have different strengths. We all are passionate about different types of therapy, whether it's deep tissue, relaxation etc. What's hard is when you are trading services with someone else who does the same type as yourself, and you find yourself thinking you are inadequate. It sucks. Since that article, I have been questioning my abilities. I'm not looking to be fawned over, but I do like being told I am good at what I do. That I am making a difference. But lately I have found myself drifting to the treatments I receive and wonder if I am doing something wrong. I need to remember that we are all in different places. I went to a different school, one that focused more on spa type massage, so, the techniques I use are ones I taught myself, through experimenting and based on feedback. Again, I just need to  get out of my own head, off the comparison wagon and realize I do have something to offer...

No comments:

Post a Comment