Monday, July 22, 2013

Why I don't really socialize all that much....

When you work in the industry I work in, Massage Therapy, it's hard to not to take on your clients problems as your own. Of course, many other therapists may disagree with that statement, but, I also believe they are the ones that really don't have a passion for what they do, so I really don't care about their opinions on the matter. When people are on your table, and you see them on a regular basis, you get to know them. They become very comfortable talking about anything with you, at least my clients do. I don't mind this, I feel honored they are trusting me with important information they don't tell other people. It's almost like what's said on the table stays on the table, so essentially I am Vegas. I am very good with being able to take the info in, and compartmentalize it, until I become so overwhelmed with people's "stuff" I can't, then I tend to shut down. I need some time to get away from it, to escape, and that's easier said than done at times. I like being a sounding board for people, someone they can get their thoughts out, try to help them through problems if I can and give my opinion when it's asked for. What becomes hard is when people start thinking you can fix everything for them, like a magic pill.  As much as I would like to be able to fix every one's problems, the truth is I am not a miracle worker. When  it becomes more than me giving you information and becomes more like you are expecting me to make your issues disappear, then perhaps I need to move on. It has gotten to the point that I sometimes dread working on a particular client, because their expectations for what I am capable of doing for them is so far beyond the scope of what I am actually qualified to do is extremely out of whack. People may wonder why I don't socialize very much, why I prefer to stay home, with my dogs and husband watching movies, and the reason is, during the week, I am constantly taking in so much info that I really don't want to be around other people when I'm done, and yes, I know that sounds weird, but it's honest. I know my husband worries about me, but the truth is, I prefer the company of him, myself and our dogs to throngs of people. Which is why I became a MT as opposed to a social party planner.....

No comments:

Post a Comment