Tuesday, May 7, 2013

High school reunions...ugh

Next year is my 25th high school reunion. How do I know this? Well, besides the obvious math equation, I was reminded due to an email I received from an online site I had signed up for years ago. It got me thinking. Do I really even want to attend it? I have gone to all the other ones, and honestly, they weren't that great. At my 20th, I barely recognized people, some people haven't changed at all, and not in a good way either. The idea of seeing people that I haven't spoken with in 25 years really isn't appealing. Of course I would be lying if I said it wasn't a tad bit satisfying hearing people tell you how amazing you look, and to see the ones that really thought they were the shit actually now just look like shit. It's a huge comparison contest, who became a Doctor, who is still married, who got fat etc. It's hard not to revert back into high school level attitudes when you attend one of these. You would think that after 20 plus years, people would have changed, but really, that's not the case. Our insecurities are still there, perhaps covered up better over the years, but, it's hard not to go back to feeling like you did in high school, especially when that's how people remember you, no matter how many times you point out that no, you no longer listen to WHAM or roll your jeans up at the bottom....

No comments:

Post a Comment