Monday, May 27, 2013

Being a slave to the size label....

When did we become slave to the size labels in our clothing? As women, we are taught, at least I believe, at an early age that smaller is better. We will somehow be more desirable or likable if we are a size 2, rather than a size 12. According to who, I have always wondered. I had a light bulb moment yesterday while going through my clothes. I found a pair of jeans I had discarded because they were a size 8. These jeans are from Express. My biggest joy when I bought them was the fact that I could fit in a pair of jeans from this store, as the clothing tends to run on the small size, or at least doesn't embrace us ladies with the curves. Anyway, I had them for a few months, then continued to lose weight, eventually fitting into a size 2 from the Gap. Now, the reality is, I could fit in them, but, really wouldn't have been able to sit in them, mostly just stand around, looking skinny in them...lol. I became so focused on that number on the label, that it didn't matter if they looked good, or if I could move in them. Pretty sad if you ask me. The reality is, clothing ALL fits different. A size large in one t-shirt brand fits like a size small in another, there really is no consistency, and with no consistency, how are we really to know what size we really are? That's when it hit me, I need to refocus on HOW my clothes fit, HOW they look on, IF I can actually move in them, not whether or not they are smaller than last months purchase. It's a hard path to step on, I won't lie. I have been programmed for so long to worry about the label, and not whether something looks or feels that it feels like I am stepping into the unknown, but, I also feel it's time to start feeling good about what I am wearing, and not pay so much attention to what size category it's in. Besides, I really don't see anyone coming up to me and asking me what size I wear, unless they're that rude, and if that's the case, clearly they have bigger issues than my size 8 jeans...

No comments:

Post a Comment