Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Searching for your own "ideal"....

On any given day I am either reading or watching something that has to do with other people's ideals. Whether it be the models showing off the latest styles on the Gap website, reading the latest shit about some reality star or celebrity on some website or entering the front door of the gym. It has been a long time since I have felt good about what I look like, because I have been striving for over 30 years to look like someone else. Someone Else's "ideal". I used to think if I wished for it long enough, I would get longer legs...didn't happen. I thought if I changed my hair color all the time, one of them would finally stick, and I would somehow emerge as this supermodel...that didn't happen either. Year after year, the "ideal" has changed. One year, it's super skinny, the next, curves are okay. Brunettes and redheads were the rage a while back, then blonde's seemed to be everywhere. Tanning was the norm, then it became taboo, so being pure white was in, not for long though, people didn't like being pasty white, not "healthy" looking...When did it become lame to just look like yourself? When did the makers of Botox, and every other filler out there decide we needed to be injected to improve ourselves? When did growing old become a crime? It's been so long I have been chasing the "ideal" that once I started discovering the person I am, it was a bit scary. I don't like skinny jeans, high heels or long hair. I prefer capri leggings, t-shirts and tank tops with my cross trainers. I don't color my hair...GASP and after age 40, that's like mandatory or something I think..I haven't had any plastic surgery, or Botox. My boobs are starting to go back to mother earth and it takes more than one session on the stair climber to get my ass back in shape, but I am learning to embrace these things, well, except the stair climber, that things just evil. What I realize is if we all looked the same, how would that be any better? I continue to see so many celebrities getting Botox, and after a while they all are starting to look like Joan Rivers. I can't tell many of them apart, and that's not my idea of
"ideal"....So pardon me while I walk on a different path, one hopefully full of others that are fighting the same thing, and becoming their own "ideal"....

No comments:

Post a Comment