Monday, June 18, 2012

Courtesy, or lack of, when commenting online.....

Well, I finally broke down and got on Facebook. It only took 100 years, and since I am sure the next best thing is around the corner,  I will be the only one left on it, but hey, c'est la vie. What I have noticed is how easy it is to hurt, offend, ridicule, belittle and in general just be an asshole on it. Well, to be fair, you can do that on any public forum that allows comments. I think it's a bit easier when you post anonymously, that way you can say what you want without fear of retaliation, like someone de-friending you...lol. Sadly, I also think this is where the breakdown began with people being courteous to one another, when people stopped learning or knowing the correct way to communicate with each other, and in general, having manners. No, I don't expect us to go back the turn of the century, but I do expect people to have a bit more decorum with each other. I can respect people having different opinions from my own, I welcome that in fact, makes conversations much more entertaining. I can also agree to disagree with people, but when others feel the need to chime in their two cents and it takes on a personal note and becomes an attack, I have an issue with that. I could give a rats ass that you have over 1000 Facebook friends, or people that you think agree with every word you say, or any opinion you have. Reality check pal, out of those 1000 "friends" about 2 of them are your real ones. The other ones aren't always going to agree with what you have to say, or every thought that you have. Many of those people probably think you are an ass clown, but stay "friends" just to see what stupid shit you are going to post. Growing up, I was taught that if you didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. When you post hurtful things online,  and do so anonymously, it really just makes you look like a douche bag, unless that is the effect you were going for, I am not sure. With Facebook, yeah, people can see who you are, but, you still have that protective layer, which enables you to say stupid shit, regardless. As I said, I have no problems with people having different opinions from my own, but I do have a problem when you are just posting replies to people's posts just to hurt, belittle and in general,  be an asshole...besides, if you have over 1000 friends, I would think they would keep you too busy to be on the Internet posting douche bag comments......

No comments:

Post a Comment