Friday, February 24, 2012

My strong opinion on animals.....

I am an animal lover. I grew up with fish, dogs, cats and birds. We now actually have 3 dogs and a snake, although that last pet was not by choice, it came with the awesome man I eventually married. I don't believe everyone that is on this planet should own a pet, just as I don't believe everyone is meant to be a parent. Pets take time, need to be nurtured and cared for. I don't believe they are an accessory. I don't believe they should be beaten, chained or locked in a kennel. I also believe they should not be purchased at pet stores. Many may not agree with that last statement, but I keep reading more and more stories about pets being purchased at these stores, and finding out they themselves are bought from puppy mills. Having a pet ourselves that is a puppy mill rescue, I can't begin to tell you how heartbreaking it is to see, or read about the conditions these animals are kept in. What I find even more horrifying is how few people are really aware of it when they buy from pet stores. Or, they are, but really don't care, since it's "just an animal". Funny how people will rally around a child, that has no voice, that has been kept in horrible conditions, but yet, when it comes to a dog, there's no second thought. Those are the kind of people I don't think deserve to be blessed with an animal in their lives. And yes, I say blessed, because for as much of a pain in the ass our little rescue can be, we still love her to death, and wouldn't trade her for the world.....So please, think twice before buying from a pet store, look to rescue organizations, animal shelters, anywhere but your local store, you might be surprised at the number of animals that need a loving home......

No comments:

Post a Comment