Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving for myself.....

Holidays...hard to avoid for pretty much everyone. You can usually tell when they start, people tend to get a bit ruder to deal with, they become less patient whether in stores or on the road. It's also a time that many gather with their families, and if you have an awesome family, that's a positive, but when you don't, it's a huge challenge. As I have gotten older, I have become less involved with the "traditional" when it comes to Thanksgiving. I don't go anywhere. I stay home, surrounded by my wonderful little dogs, I watch silly musicals, eat what I want, and generally, really enjoy my day. I do this because I refuse to be surrounded by people that generally do not care about my happiness, or well being, they care about the "tradition" of having to get together, eating a lot of food (of which I don't participate, being vegetarian) and have forced conversation. I don't do this on a day to day basis, why would I spend one of my precious few days off doing it? Does this make me selfish? Perhaps to some people, but to many others, I am commended for standing up for myself, and doing what is best for me, not only mentally, but emotionally....It isn't for everyone, but it works for me....Life is about choices, and I am choosing to enjoy Thanksgiving on my own terms, my own way, and if you don't agree with it, that's your choice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment