Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When it's time to cut the cord...

When do you know it's time to cut the cord? In relationships, we sometimes tend to stay in a bad situation due to fear, economics, pride or laziness. Same thing can be said for staying at a job too long as well. We get stuck in a perpetual cycle, and after a while tend to glaze over the "bad" things and keep chugging along, never fully understanding just how bad that whatever is holding you back is also hindering your growth. I have been like this in regards to the gym I belong to. It wasn't until a few days ago that it hit me, I cannot stand this place, and it really isn't helping me get to the next level of where I want to be. A light bulb went off, and I literally was standing there looking round me and wondering what the hell I was thinking. If I was training for a Zumba marathon, I would be in the right spot, if I was training for a triathalon, I would be in the right spot, and if I was wanting to compete in body building, this is the place I would need to be, but, I am not training for any of those things. I train for power lifting, and sadly, the gym I belong to isn't geared for that. Sure, they have some squat racks, and dumb bells, but would I trust any of those people to spot me lifting 200 plus pounds? No...Why you ask? Because everyone is too busy watching television, or checking other people out, hoping they are getting noticed as well. So no, I really don't feel safe around them. I had convinced myself I didn't really need to go to another gym, full of "meat heads", but honestly, isn't that what I am surrounded by right now? Just meat heads with no focus it seems, more interested in showing off the latest Lululemon outfit or doing the latest fitness craze (big tubes with handles, really people??)...I sound like I am so much better than those people, and honestly, I know I'm not, but, I am a lot more focused on what I need to be doing, rather following the latest celebrity craze workout ....So, it is with great relief, I will be relinquishing my overpriced membership at the one club that is literally 5 minutes from my home and joining another gym, that is in another city, and a bit further...Why? Because at least I know the others there will be able to catch me if I fall.....or at least pick up the 200 plus pounds I am lifting without checking themselves out in the mirror first.....

No comments:

Post a Comment