Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eminant Domain....

Two words I dread reading about..Eminent Domain. Sadly, I seem to be hearing it more often than I think I should. The latest is involving a family in Oklahoma. The family has owned this 180 acres for over 50 years, when suddenly, TransCanada wants to put a pipeline thru the property to send oil thru it. The family objected, and now the Company is claiming Eminant Domain. How is this even legal? Essentially being told that the land you "own" can be taken away from you for no other reason except a company wants it. The same thing happened with the land flight 93 went down in on 9/11. Again I ask, how is this legal? Where is the incentive for me to want to own any property if there is even a slight chance someone might want it down the road, and if I don't want to sell, they can just claim Eminant domain and take it. It's pathetic is what it is, and why are there not more people outraged about this? Because you can't fight the Government, you have to accept that if they want something, they can take it, and you better just plaster a smile on your face and move on...Perhaps to another plot of land you can pay off and have taken away from you at a later date.....

1 comment: