Thursday, June 30, 2011

Why Mary Lou Retton is my hero......

The name is a blast from the past isn't it? I remember being in awe of this woman, with her skills as a gymnast, I wanted to follow in her footsteps, who wouldn't? Olympic gold anyone? I remember watching her, never once questioning why her legs were so big and muscular, or wondering how much she weighed, how many calories she ate or how many hours a day she worked out. All I saw was absolute commitment to a sport she excelled at. I never really read about any eating disorder she had. Never once read about her partying too hard, driving drunk or being placed under arrest. She always seemed to just be living her life to the fullest, and after getting married and having children, I am happy to read that she is passing so many great values on to her kids. She doesn't own a scale, you won't find one in her house. They don't use the terms "skinny" or "fat", just the word "healthy". She herself exercises about 3 days a week, careful due to the many surgeries she has had, the point is she listens to her body. She also isn't pushing her kids to go in any certain direction when it comes to sports, she wants them to have fun, enjoy themselves and cheer on the side, not be the parent that's on the mat screaming at her kid to go harder, faster etc....She's a real person who happened to have one Olympic gold, but she isn't defined by only that, which is a reminder to me, that it's okay to have ambition, but don't foregt to enjoy life along the way....This is why she is my hero.....

No comments:

Post a Comment