Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How much is too much?

I just read that the Dugger family, you know,the ones with 18 kids, are expecting yet another child. Well, after picking myself off the ground, it got me thinking, how much is too much? Personally, I have no children, realizing at a young age that I really was not and am still not "mother" material. I had been told on numerous occasions that I will "change my mind as I get older". I have also been chastised for my decision, because the only reason we are on this earth apparently is to "procreate". Huh, I must have missed that day in class where they said that one. Now, even though my husband and I do not want children, I definitely don't begrudge others if they do, besides, we happen to have three great dogs, so I am indeed content. I guess I am having a harder time understanding this, if you have more than 4 or 5 dogs, or cats or whatever animal you love, it's considered hoarding, but yet it's not when you have 6 or 7 or even more children? Why? I have asked quite a few people that question, and each of them stares at me blankly like I've grown horns from my head. Maybe it's just the "American" thing to do, kind of like having 20 plus pairs of Jimmy Choos. So again, how much is too much?

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps this is the next wave in materialism that cannot be called "materialism". After all if you have 13 automobiles, 5 houses, or a walk in closet full of fine clothes you are materialistic. However, if have a multitude of children you are just "a family person". What I think these people are saying, albeit subconsciously, is, "Look at us. We have the time and money for 19 children. You only have 3? Oh, how simple and cheap your life must be - you can both probably still work a job eh?" Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but is it?

    My question is at what point do you cease to be a parent and become an employee of your children? Does this again play to the status game? Like being a lawyer or a doctor or some other "enviable" position - but here the "better than yours" job is parent of 19? With more that a few children, I am sorry, you are not a parent - you are an employee doing a job.

    To Gracie Lou's point, why doesn't hoarding apply to humans? If the common conclusion is that beyond five animals a person cannot provide sufficient care and attention to all of them, how could one possibly even begin to think that this is possible with human children? Utterly insane.

    ReplyDelete